Thursday, June 21, 2018

Matt Marriott Published By Manuel Caldas

If I look at the list of my favorite comics (my personal canon, as this blog's subtitle claims) I inevitably notice that many, if not most, are out of print or were never reprinted decades after the first printing (almost 60 years, if we don't count a confidential reprint in 2014, for my #1).

"Matt Marriott," (links here, here, and here) the Western series by James Edgar and Tony Weare, is no exception. Of the 70 stories published between 1955 and 1977 few were reprinted and none had a wide circulation. I would love to see the complete series reprinted with Drawn & Quarterly or Fantagraphics production values quality. It would be a Matt Marriott library to join the Oesterheld's Frontera library of my wildest (and nerdeshly wettest) dreams. This will never happen, of course, because the former is a British newspaper series, and the latter was an Argentinian publishing house. The only reprints we can expect are the ones with best seller status; which obviously mostly means, reprints of mediocre stuff. If the above isn't enough we know that most countries are completely out of the great production values, classic comics reprint equation, the UK and Argentina among them...

But enough whining: enter: Manuel Caldas...

As you can see below Manuel marvelously published three Matt Marriott story arcs in Spanish, directly reproduced from the original art.



I wrote the intros, but, unfortunately, I need to correct some mistakes committed by the translator. I'll do it in a coda to this post. In Spanish, maybe?...

No comments: